Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spicy burgers with basil mayonnaise

Made these spicy pork and beef burgers today from N1Kitchen.

They were yum! For the mayonnaise I took the idea and used my own mayo recipe (the one from The Garden of Eating), using half extra virgin olive oil and half cold pressed macadamia oil. I find 100% EVOO mayos much too strong and the macadamia cuts down on that nicely while still remaining a mostly monounsaturated oil. Too bad macadamia oil is so $$$ or I'd use it more often.

We had the burgers with shredded cabbage that I parboiled and then tossed with some of the basil mayo and some steamed broccoli.

We devoured it before I remembered to take a picture, but I thought the recipe was so good I wanted to share it anyway! We were licking the plates clean.

2 comments:

Health Test Dummy said...

I make my own mayo too, except I use EVOO and OCO (Organic Coconut Oil). The EVOO keeps the OCO from solidifying in the fridge and the OCO makes it nice and light tasting.

A little egg yolk, white pepper, salt, etc...

That reminds me, I need to go make more!

Yummy said...

What's wrong with me that I hate mayo?

You are tempting me though! Anything with the words "spicy" or "basil" gets my attention.